(This call and follow up email response was prompted by communications between the credit card companies as part of their dispute process, in which Connie Vrenios' handwritten note implied I was practicing massage without a license because of an outdated screenshot on the AMTA website in their "Find A Therapist" utility. With all the calling and research Rick and Connie Vrenios have pushed me into a corner to do, I found out it is unlikely any professional massage therapist believes that presence on the AMTA "Find A Therapist" utility represents licensure. As continuing education providers to massage therapists, it's very difficult to imagine neither Connie nor Rick Vrenios would believe that themselves. Additionally, before I was allowed to sit in a class Connie said she had to confirm whether or not I was licensed and told me she had confirmed I was. When I called to find out myself I was told I was not and in turn I informed Connie. My licensure status and ensuing discussion occurred because Connie believed I had been grandfathered in before a license was needed. So surely Connie knew how to confirm massage therapist licensure. Neither Connie nor Rick could possibly have proof I have practiced as a professional massage therapist without a license. Their statements that I have done so are consistent with their treatment of me since the first discussion about the TFC loan. Coincidentally it’s apparent Connie and Rick know I am not licensed according to their email statement accusing me of trying to skip out on them and wait(?) until January 2008 to be grandfathered in during a 10 day period, even though I did not qualify to do so. And knowing I expected to be able to take the exam and be licensed in October with Class 6 as Connie repeatedly emphasized. As I peruse these documents, this nonsense seems endless. I cannot imagine what a time consuming mess this must seem to anyone else.)
From: Barbara Barnett Sunshine
To: cs_colvin@yahoo.com
Sent: Monday, November 5, 2007 3:17:30 PM
Subject: AMTA Letter of Membership
Dear Catherine Colvin,
We spoke on May, 17, 2007 regarding the status of your membership. You had informed me that you did not have your license for IL to practice massage therapy. You were upset that we had allowed you to renew your membership without having your license to practice. I explained the requirements of membership in AMTA. At the time in which you upgraded to Professional status, you had to submit one of the following:
You must either provide a transcript or diploma showing you completed a minimum of 500 in-class hours of education, a state license recognized by AMTA, or national certification.
We received your school transcript in May 2004.
The professional and general liability insurance that accompanies your membership with AMTA covers you as long as you are practicing according to the rules and regulations of the state in which you work. I offered to change your status to Professional Inactive since you were not practicing until you received your license. I also suggested you speak with the IL Chapter that had been assisting members with the licensure application.
It was nice to hear from you last week and to know that you are doing better. If this is the profession you are passionate about, AMTA will try to support you in every way possible to help advance the art, science, and practice of massage therapy. If you require any further assistance, please contact me directly.
Best wishes!
Barbara Barnett Sunshine
Call Center Manager
American Massage Therapy Association
500 Davis St., Ste. 900
Evanston, IL 60201-4695
(847) 905-1421; fax (847) 864-5196
No comments:
Post a Comment